.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Music Memories + Songs

Friday, April 15, 2005

Rest in Peace, Johnnie Johnson

I was saddened yesterday to see the news that Johnnie Johnson
died April 13, 2005.

Never well known, Johnnie Clyde Johnson was Chuck Berry's piano
player on his landmark Chess recordings during the 1955 to 1956
period when he was shaping rock and roll.

Several years ago, Johnnie Johnson filed a lawsuit against
Chuck Berry alleging that he deserved a share of the money
Chuck was getting for those recordings. Basically he said
that he was as responsible as Chuck for the basic sound
and beat of the records and their success and their
historical importance.

On his website, he's billed as the "Father of Rock and
Roll." See:

Father of Rock and
Roll -- Johnnie Johnson



I wasn't there during those recordings sessions -- and
wouldn't have understood anything if I had been, since I was
a preschooler at the time -- so I cannot make any
judgment.

I have no trouble believing that the records were a
combination of both talents, a synthesis of what they
could do. Piano man and the guitar playing singer.
I credit them both.

Johnnie Johnson was known by subsequent rock and
rollers -- I've heard that Keith Richards often flew him
to England for recording sessions, for example.

He was 80 years old, and played his last gig late last
month. He also played on some specialty recordings
made locally for local sports teams to cheer them on.

I heard him on the radio several times with a local
DJ known as Smash, and Johnny Johnson sounded
like a real nice guy.

Several years ago, he was belatedly inducted into the
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. So it's good that he got
that professional recognition in time to enjoy a few
years of it.

As a resident of St Louis and a native of the St Louis
Metro Area, I find it worth noting that both Chuck
Berry and Johnnie Johnson are from St Louis and
continued to reside here.

On the Great Highway

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home