.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Music Memories + Songs

Thursday, March 16, 2006

on Elton John -- negative

While I'm in a critical mood . . . there's somebody else
in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame whose music I
don't much care for.

Elton John.

I know he's popular -- but what in the world appeals
to you people who like him?

And just for the record, it's not a gay issue. I hated
his music from the very beginning -- long before his
sexuality was publicized. I don't care who he sucks.

I care that his music sucks.

I can think of only one time where I really like
him -- in the movie TOMMY, The Who's rock opera. I
have to admit that as the pinball expert singing
"Pinball Wizard" he's great.

And in fairness, I'll say this -- "Crocodile Rock" captures
some of the flavor of old time rock and roll.
However, the very name he chose -- crocodile --
makes me think he's being sarcastic.

I mean, what connection is there supposed to be
between our youthful frustration (the very heart of
rock and roll), the music -- and crocodiles?

It makes no sense. We listen to and accept it
because it's there, played on the radio.

But what's it mean?

To be continued

travel to England

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home