.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Music Memories + Songs

Sunday, November 09, 2008

On modern furniture

I've never been a big fan of modern furniture. Most of the really expensive, fashionable stuff looks really stark and uncomfortable. At my sister's house 3 weeks ago I sat in the ergonomic chair they have in front of their computer, and it really hurt my back a lot, though that's not true of the ergonomic chairs on my job or even the one I'm sitting in now at the library. Maybe it was just that type. And old furniture can be uncomfortable too, since people years ago thought it virtuous to be uncomfortable. My niece was married in a very old New England church, and the pews were very stiff and hard and uncomfortable, so I think they originally belonged to puritans who wanted to make sure nobody fell asleep or even relaxed during a long sermon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home